GSI v3.7: Use diag file from radar data assimilation

Submitted by burjunburjun on Wed, 05/26/2021 - 07:15

Hi,

I am using GSI v3.7 to do radar reflectivity and radial velocity assimilation. I would like to check the error of observation minus background (O-B) and observation minus analysis (O-A), and draw some figures based on the error fields.

According to the GSI user guide, I checked the ./util/Analysis_Utilities/read_diag/ directory in GSI, but the FORTRAN codes only identify conventional or radiance observations. When I ran the file read_diag_conv.f90, the information says "CONVINFO_READ: NO CONVENTIONAL DATA USED". Running read_diag_rad.f90 returns an error of file I/O. I wonder whether there is a way to read and output error fields from radar data assimilation.

I am also curious about which fort.* file stores information from radar reflectivity assimilation and cloud analysis. The advanced GSI user guide tells me that the fort.209 file stores information from radial velocity assimilation, such as count, bias, rms. I scanned all the fort.* files but haven't found where the cloud analysis information is stored.

Bojun Zhu

GSI Cloud analysis is to replace background field directly and hence does not generate OmB or OmA information.