Model Evaluation Tools
Welcome to the users page for the Model Evaluation Tools (MET) verification package. MET was developed by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) Developmental Testbed Center (DTC) through the generous support of the U.S. Air Force Weather Agency (AFWA) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
MET is designed to be a highly-configurable, state-of-the-art suite of verification tools. It was developed using output from the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) modeling system but may be applied to the output of other modeling systems as well.
MET provides a variety of verification techniques, including:
- Standard verification scores comparing gridded model data to point-based observations
- Standard verification scores comparing gridded model data to gridded observations
- Spatial verification methods comparing gridded model data to gridded observations using neighborhood, object-based, and intensity-scale decomposition approaches
- Ensemble and probabilistic verification methods comparing gridded model data to point-based or gridded observations
- Aggregating the output of these verification methods through time and space